Pages

Book Review: Twice Bitten


Author: Chloe Neill
Genre: Fiction, Paranormal, Romance, Urban Fantasy
Release: July, 2010
Source: Library
Rating: 5/5

Description: Merit, Chicago’s newest vampire, is learning how to play well with others. Other supernaturals, that is. Shapeshifters from across the country are convening in the Windy City, and as a gesture of peace, Master Vampire Ethan Sullivan has offered their leader a very special bodyguard: Merit. Merit is supposed to protect the Alpha, Gabriel Keene—and to spy for the vamps while she’s at it. Oh, and luckily Ethan’s offering some steamy, one-on-one combat training sessions to help her prepare for the mission.

Merit must accept the assignment, even though she knows that she’ll probably regret it. And she’s not wrong. Someone is gunning for Gabriel Keene, and Merit soon finds herself in the line of fire. She’ll need all the help she can get to track down the would-be assassin, but everywhere she turns, there are rising tensions between supernaturals—not least between her and a certain green-eyed, centuries old master vampire.


Review: Chloe Neill is becoming one of my favorite authors. I so heart both her Chicagoland Vampires and her Dark Elite series. Twice Bitten is book #3 in the Chicagoland Vampires series.

WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE:

  • I would've like to have seen more of Merit's witch bff, Mallory, and Mallory's boyfriend, Catcher. That's it.

WHAT I LIKED:

  • Oh, how I love the character of Merit. Let me count the ways! She's sassy, independent, a kickass fighter, etc. She wants Ethan and is drawn to him, but she doesn't wither if and when he rejects her. She's strong, yet vulnerable. And I love her voice.
  • The tension between Merit and Ethan. It has been mounting up since book #1. I won't reveal whether anything happens or not.
  • I heart the secondary characters. They all bring something to this book.
  • OMG, the action. I'm a big action movie junkie, so of course, I'm addicted to books with action. Merit holds her own, with her fighting skills and her katana.
  • The book is well-written and fast-paced. It didn't lose me and held me til the end.

I so heart this series!

 

2 comments:

The Bookworm said...

wow, sounds like a great series. I enjoy a good action scene too. Nice review!

Unknown said...

Thanks! It IS a great series. Chloe Neill is a talented writer. :D