Pages

Book Review: Wicked Lovely by Melissa Marr


Genre: Young Adult/Paranormal

Before I go on, I must say that I haven't always been a fan of paranormal books. I think it's been within the past 3 years, I've fallen in love with the worlds and stories created by paranormal authors. With that being said, I'd heard a lot of whisperings about Melissa Marr's, Wicked Lovely, and wanted to see for myself if it was as good as people said it was. I was not disappointed!

First of all, being a person who loves books with aesthetically pleasing covers, I found Marr's cover to be awesome! The cover itself made me want to read on. Then, I started reading - and couldn't put the book down.

Keenan, the Summer King in a land of faeries, knows that Aislinn, a mortal, is special. He's dreamed of her and believes that she's the one...the one bound to become the Summer Queen...the one whose power, along with his, is strong enough to defeat the Winter Queen (Keenan's mother). If the Winter Queen isn't defeated, summer will perish and her cold power will take over both the fairy and human world. For centuries, Keenan has seduced countless number of girls into loving him, only to find that they aren't the one. The girls are then banished into a cold captivity until another girl is seduced by Keenan. Donia is the most recent victim, forced to live a cold existence, still loving Keenan, but unable to have him.

Aislinn is different from the other girls, for she's inherited the gift (if you can call it that) of being able to see the faeries who freely walk our human world (invisible to humans). Her grandmother keeps Aislinn on a short leash because of the dangers that come along with this special sight. Tired, and at times, afraid, she seeks refuge in the home of her best friend and love interest, Seth. His converted train car, made of iron, protects Aislinn from the faeries who've begun stalking her (iron harms faeries). There's a love triangle between Keenan, Aislinn, and Seth. Keenan is determined to have Aislinn, despite the fact that it's obvious something's going on between her and Seth. This makes Keenan out to be the bad guy, but really, he's just trying to save his fey from the Winter Queen's cold rule. Will the Winter Queen be defeated? Will Donia ever be freed from her captivity? Is Aislinn going to end up with Keenan or Seth? Is Aislinn really the one destined to be the Summer Queen, or is she just like the other girls? So many questions and one would have to read the book in order to find the answers.

Like I said, I absolutely loved this book and couldn't put it down. The book not only had me rooting for Keenan in his quest to defeat his mother, but also rooting for Aislinn's victory in discovering herself as well as her relationship with Seth. I recommend this book to anyone who likes to read, especially if you're an avid paranormal fan. I cannot read Melissa Marr's next book, Ink Exchange.

Rating: 4/5

 

0 comments: