Pages

In Loving Memory of...

Sunday, August 25, 2001. I'm at church, just finishing up the Sunday school lesson with my 1st graders. I hear a knock at the door. Mama's standing outside the room. "Did you hear?" She asks. I shake my head. "Hear what?" Then, she drops the bomb. "The singer, Aaliyah, died in a plane crash." I'll never forget that day. It literally hurt inside. No, not Aaliyah. It's got to be a mistake. And yet, it wasn't. Later that day, I sat, glued to the TV while reporters confirmed what my mom had already told me. Aaliyah, one of my all time favorite performers, was gone.

Aaliyah's death is one of the few celeb deaths that really affected me. I didn't go throught anything major (depression...stuff like that), but I did cry. I did feel that her death has left a void in music. Beautiful (inside and out), talented, gorgeous voice...Aaliyah was awesome. I'd always anticipated her videos to see her latest dance moves. Her music seriously had me jammin. *sigh*

It's been 7 years since her death and I still miss her. I wonder what things would be like if she were still alive? She would've been 29 this year. I know we'd still be enjoying more number hits and watching her blossom as an actress. But, alas, it wasn't meant to be. It was time for her to go home. I'm thankful God allowed her to share her music with the world. There will never be another Aaliyah (I love Ciara, but never understood why people compared her to Aaliyah...2 totally different artists).

Over the last few years (2000 - 2008), we've lost a few good ones...people who made an impact, be it big or small, in the entertainment business. Have you lost loved ones during this time. I've posted pics and names of a few of them. I'm sure I've missed others...you can add to the list. Enjoy my Aaliyah selections while browsing.


 

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aaliyah is one of those artists that will be remembered forever and she should be.