Pages

Book Review: The Iron Daughter

Author: Julie Kagawa
Genre: Young Adult; Paranormal; Fiction; Fantasy
Release Date: August 2010
Source: Library
Rating: 4/5

Description: Half Summer faery princess, half human, Meghan has never fit in anywhere. Deserted by the Winter prince she thought loved her, she is prisoner to the Winter faery queen. As war looms between Summer and Winter, Meghan knows that the real danger comes from the Iron Fey, iron-bound faeries that only she and her absent prince have seen. But no one believes her. Worse, Meghan's own fey powers have been cut off. She's alone in Faery with only her wits for help. Trusting anyone would be foolish. Trusting a seeming traitor could be deadly. But even as she grows a backbone of iron, Meghan can't help but hear the whispers of longing in her all-too-human heart.

Review: This is the second book in the Iron Fey series - the first book being, The Iron King. I loved book #1, so of course, I wanted to read book #2. I liked The Iron King better, but that usually happens with series. The Iron Daughter was good, though. I did like it.

What I Didn't Like...

  • My only issue with this book is the Meghan/Ash relationship. Her moping over him and her undying devotion to him was kind of annoying to me. I can't get with the whole "moping over a guy cos he doesn't love me/woe is me" attitude. That's just me. Teen girls may relate to Meghan. I don't know. And am I the only one who prefers Puck over Ash, anyway? I'm still hoping she wakes up and falls for Puck. I'm not crazy about icy, emotionless, yet sexy guys. Just like I've always preferred Jacob over Edward in Twilight.
What I Did Like...
  • Julie Kagawa does an excellent job with her creative worldbuilding. Her descriptions are spot on.
  • I could feel Meghan's emotions. While I didn't like her devotion to Ash, I felt her emotions.
  • I LOVE the cover. I'm a big fan of captivating covers and this is one of them.
  • I love the characters of Ironhorse and Grimalkin. Very endearing.
  • The twist in the story that happens when Meghan meets Leanansidhe, the Dark Muse.
  • I love Meghan's growth. She develops into a stronger character.

Once again, Julie Kagawa does a wonderful job with this book. I'm so excited cos I have an ARC of book #3, Iron Queen, which comes out this month.

 

0 comments: