Pages

Writing Wednesday

I love writing and reading fractured fairy tales. Fractured fairy tales are made when the author takes fairy tales we know and change them up. Some people start their stories where the fairy tales left off (like what really happened to Cinderella and her evil steps after she married the prince) or they write an updated version of an old tale (change the prince into the popular guy at school or something like that).

A few years ago, I took Little Red Riding Hood and change it up a bit. I had so much fun doing it! So, today, I'm sharing it with you.

Little Redd

Seriously, you’re not going to believe what happened to me the other day!

Mom tells me to deliver some homemade soup to my grandmother, who's supposed to be sick. I don't want to go cos a) my show is on and b) Nana lives too far away.

Okay, so she only lives a block away, but I so don't feel like walking. Mom isn’t hearing any of my excuses, though, so I still have to go. Once again, she gives me her speech about the dangers of talking to strangers, blah, blah, blah. “Things are a lot different now than when I was a girl," she says.

Well duh. That was like, a gazillion years ago! I start to tell her that, at 15, I’m not a little girl anymore, but I know she won’t listen. Why waste my breath?

Of course I’m upset so, instead of rushing, I take my sweet little time. I'm in my own little world, dreaming of all the ways Chris Wolfe will profess his undying love for me. I mean, sure he still sees me as his best friend's little sister, but a girl can dream can't she?

A horn blast jolts me out of my daydream. I turn around and see Wolfe, sitting in his brand new, royal blue Mustang. Smooth, chocolately skin, deep dimples, eyes that stare into your soul...*sigh* He looks so good.

He pulls up right next to me. “What up Little Redd? Where you going?”

By now, my heart is beating so fast, I’m sure it’s about to explode.

Uh, hey Wolfe. Um, I’m just going to my Nana’s house to, uh, drop this off. You driving now?” Duh! I can’t believe I sound dumb and babyish at the same time. At this rate, I’ll never get Wolfe to profess his love for me.

“Yeah, you like my ride?”

Uh huh, but not as much as I like you. Of course, I don’t tell him this. Instead, I say, “Um, yeah, it’s cool.”

“Get in. I’ll give you a ride.”

Now, I know Mom would kill me if I got in the car with him - she has this rule against my being in a car with anyone under 21 - but whatever. It'll get the soup to Nana faster, right? So, I get in.
Hallelujah, I’m in heaven now!

Wolfe drops me off in front of Nana’s house and pulls off. He says he has to pick his girlfriend up from work. Ouch!

My poor heart is breaking, so the fact that Nana’s door is unlocked doesn’t register in my mind. I open the door and say, “Nana, I’ve got some soup.” There is no answer, so I go to the family room. I see Nana lying on her couch, completely under the covers.

I’m about to hug her when I notice her feet. Man, those dogs are big!

Nana moves and I see her ears. Man, those ears are huge.

Then I see the arms. Ewww, they’re so hairy!

This is definitely not my Nana. I grab a broomstick and strike the figure over and over again. It growls and jumps up. I scream. It’s a big hairy beast! Gross!

“What are you doing in Nana’s house? What have you done to her?” I chase the beast around.

“Ashlee Nicole Redd, you better stop it right now!”

Uh oh.

I turn around to see Nana glaring at me, standing with a hand on her hip. “Why are you beating Mr. Wolfe like that?”

I gulp, look from Mr. Hairy Man to Nana, and say, “Mr. Wolfe?”

Oh man! Please do not tell me that this man is related to my one true love! It’s just a coincidence, isn’t it?

Anyway, it’s been three weeks and I’m still in a lot of trouble. I practically beat up Nana’s new boyfriend, who happens to be Wolfe’s grandfather. I’m now grounded until further notice, Wolfe laughs at me every time he sees me, and, to top it all off, I won’t be able to watch my show for a long time.

So, that’s it. That's my story. Of course, I’m clearly the victim here. I totally blame Mom. If she hadn’t sent me, none of this would have ever happened!

 

0 comments: