Pages

Committment and Not Believing in the Impossible

Three and a half hours. That's how long we stood in line last night to participate in the caucus. Three and a half hours! Oh, let's not forget the fact that it was like 45 degrees outside. So, we stood outside...in 40 - 50 degree weather...for three and a half hours. Conversation was going on the whole time. Some people brought chairs and just moved along with the line. I saw people with books, or walking around (with their spots being saved) to keep warm, but, most of us stood in line talking - whether we knew the people in front and behind or not. Such comraderie! The funny thing is, very few people left. Most of us (I'd have to say at least 800 people) decided to stay and stick it out. Now, that's committment!

Now, on to other things - my dissertation. Last semester, I took two classes just so I could have a better chance to graduate this October instead of February of next year. Sadly, it's looking like I took (and slaved over...and worked hard in) two classes in vain. If I'd have known there was a possiblity that I'd still be graduating in February, would I have taken two classes? NO! Ugh! It doesn't look like I'll finish by October. In fact, my chairperson said it's basically impossible, as in, it ain't happening. *Sigh* So, my set grad date is February, 2009. But, personally, I don't believe in the impossible. The good thing is, I moved back in with my parents and continued to substitute for this very reason. So, my schedule's flexible (if I don't want to go to work, I just don't go...no need to check in with a supervisor) and my bills are low (I still pay rent, but it's nowhere near what I'd be paying in an apartment - plus, my parents are flexible). So, I'm going to work my...butt off to finish by October. If October comes, and I'm still not finished, well, at least I tried and didn't give up.

The truth of the matter is, I've been in school for almost 30 years. Yep! I was a smart little cookie, so my parents enrolled me in a school for little ones when I was one and a half. Clearly, I was supposed to be three, but, because I was potty trained and knew my stuff, they didn't catch on...until I messed it up and told the truth when they asked me how old I was on my b-day (The conversation went a little like this...Teacher: "And how old are you today, four?" Me: "I'm not four! I'm two!" Yeah, I know...) . I've been traveling the educational road ever since. I took 2 years off between my BS and MA and 2 years off between my BA and this one (EdD). I'll be 32 this year, which means I've been in school for 28 of my 32 years. 28! Who does that? I am now officially sick of school. I'm tired and ready to hang up the "student" hat. That's why I'm so anxious to get out. So, I'm going for that October graduation. One thing I can say about myself is that I'm both stubborn and determined. Once I set my mind to something, that's it...and noone can tell me otherwise. So, here I go!

 

0 comments: