Pages

Rae's List

About 2 weeks ago, I finished reading a book called, Lilah's List, by Robyn Amos - a good (romance) book, by the way. The main character, Lilah, made a list of things she wanted to do by the time she was 30. She started the list at 16, forgot it after college, and came across it again 3 weeks before her 30th b-day. Lilah only had about half her list crossed off, so, she decided - or rather, her bff decided for her - to attempt to cross off what's left in 3 weeks.

This novel has inspired me to create my own list. Obviously, I can't do a "Before I turn 30" list because I've already past that monumental birthday. My next "big" b-day is 35. Actually, I was going to make it a "Before I turn 40" list, but my parents and sister are of the opinion that I need to change the age to 35. The fact that this only gives me 3 years to cross of my list items didn't matter to them. So, my list is "Rae's List of Things to do Before 35" or "Rae's List" for short. *NOTE: list is not in any order of importance.


  • Become Dr. Rae Weakly, EdD
  • Get counseling license
  • Go sky diving
  • Go para sailing
  • Go jet skiing
  • Swim with dolphins
  • Go bungee jumping
  • Go cliff diving
  • Stay in a hotel (or beach house) on the beach
  • Stay in a resort
  • Stay in an expensive hotel for at least one night without worrying about price
  • Learn Spanish - be able to hold conversation with native speakers & my sister
  • Learn a 3rd language (Portuguese, Italian, French, or Japanese)
  • Learn to play acoustic guitar
  • Shake hands with a celebrity
  • Become a published author
  • Fall in love
  • Get married
  • Have a child
  • Travel to other countries/cities/states - Puerto Rico, Hawaii, Brazil, Holy Land, St. Thomas Virgin Islands, Italy, Spain, Japan, Cuba, Columbia, Tahiti, Philippines, Virginia, Washington D.C., Las Vegas, Phoenix, Jamaica
  • Become owner of THRIVING business, AYM Enrichment Center
  • Learn to belly dance
  • Learn to Salsa
  • Learn to dance Hip Hop
  • Get a professional makeover
  • Go to a spa
  • Get 3rd tattoo (I even know what and where, just not too fond of pain)
  • Ride a motorcycle
  • Learn kickboxing
  • Fly first class
  • Have at least one of my novels optioned for film
  • Wear shorts in public (I'm self-conscious about my legs...haven't worn shorts in about 12 years)
  • Wear a daring (yet tasteful) dress
  • Start research on what makes other countries' educational system work & what America can do to catch up
  • Comfortably wear a swimsuit without cover (no shirt over it...no beach pants to cover my legs, etc)
  • Participate in a walkathon
  • Run a mile
  • Go white-water rafting
  • Go skiing
  • Try a fruity alcoholic drink
  • Sing at a karaoke bar
  • Learn sign language
  • Become debt free
  • Buy first house
  • Buy my Escalade EXT
  • Approach an attractive guy (if only for conversation. Even @ 32 I clam up around cute guys)
  • Attend a Superbowl game
  • Go to an awards show
  • Get nose pierced
  • Climb the Statue of Liberty
  • Eat @ an expensive restaurant
  • Set up a foundation for kids (still thinking of what it'll be for)
  • Become a motivational speak/mentor for young girls/teen girls
  • Play basketball without dying
  • Buy my parents their dream house
  • Spend a whole day doing absolutely nothing (take a me-day)
  • Donate a substantial amount of $ for a worthy cause
  • Learn how to play piano
  • Plan a camp for girls and/or creative kids
  • Experience Las Vegas (or Atlantic City) gambling once
  • Research both sides of my family. We have a whole side of French and Native American (my great great grandparents on both sides)ancestors that I know nothing about. I also want to research our ancestors who were slaves.
  • Read the whole Bible, from Genesis to Revelation

So, that's it...so far, at least. Long list, right? Now that I think about it, it'll probably be more interesting, more exciting, to try to accomplish these things in 3 years as oppose to 8. I created this list on my 32nd birthday (last Sunday - September 28th). How fitting! Every once in a while, I'll update my list, crossing off things that I've accomplished. Let's see how many I can cross off in 3 years. Ready. Set. GO!

 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great list! You're going to have a great time crossing things off!

Unknown said...

Thanks, Amy. That's what I'm hoping for. :)