Pages

Random Thoughts

Liar Book Cover. So, there's been some controversy in the book world over the cover of Justine Larbalestier's book, Liar.

You may wonder what the big deal is. The cover looks good, right? Well, here's the deal: the main character, Micah, is an African American girl. Not only that, but her hair is so short, that people mistake her for a boy. As you can see, the cover model is neither African American, nor does she have short hair.


So, why did they choose to put this model on the cover? It could be one of two reasons. #1 - they didn't think an African American cover model would sell as well as a Caucasian one. This is the one that's causing the controversy. I hope and pray that this isn't the reason. We already have a sad representation of people of color in the book world - both as characters and as authors. What about all the African American teens who are just waiting for characters who look like them? It's funny. We now have an African American pres, yet, we can't get books with African American characters/cover models or written by African American authors. #2 - the character. Micah, is a compulsive liar. The cover can represent the fact that we don't know if she's lying about her appearance.


Which reason is it? Not really sure. Kinda makes me want to self publish my books so I can have more control over things like my covers. I do know one thing: this controversy will = more books sold for Ms. Larbalestier.


Oops! I Did It Again! I chopped my hair off again. Couldn't help it! I love the short and sassy look. Plus, it's too hot down here in Houston for long hair.

BEFORE

AFTER



Twitter. So, I finally caved in and got a Twitter account. I'll see how it goes. Follow me @ http://twitter.com/raewea.

 

0 comments: