Pages

Book Review: Ambitious

Author: Monica McKayhan
Genre: YA
Release: August, 2011
Source: Netgalley
Rating: 3

Description:"There's only one thing tougher than getting in to Premiere High: Staying in..."

At Premiere School of the Performing Arts, nicknamed Premiere High, talent is a must and competition is fierce. But the payoff is worth it. Some of the biggest stars in music, movies and dance are on the alumni list. New student Marisol Garcia dreams of taking her place among them one day. And being chosen to take part in a local dance contest where a film role is the prize could possibly be her first step into the spotlight.

Almost as big a challenge: getting Drew Bishop to see her as more than a friend. But Drew is preoccupied with his own dilemma of either playing basketball, which could be a free ticket to college, or pursuing the stage where he really comes alive. But every dream comes with a price. And as Marisol becomes consumed with winning, the once straight-A student risks losing everything. Starting with her parents' approval, her friends and her place at Premiere High...

Review: I chose this book because I LOVE all things dancing. I'm totally addicted to movies like Step Up and the like, no matter how corny they may get. Lol. I'd hoped this book catch me like the movies would. Sadly, it didn't. It wasn't bad, it just didn't wow me.


WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE
  • The characters didn't seem to struggle like I thought they would in a top performing arts school. They struggled a little, but not enough. 
  • I did not like Drew as a love interest for Mari. He was a player, always looking at other girls and using them for his benefits. I think she deserved better.
  • Mari as a character was just ok. I didn't hate her, but I didn't find myself impressed with her.
  • Mari's old best friend, who was jealous of Mari & her new friends, started hanging out with an adversary of Mari's. She only comes back to Mari when the girl gets on her nerves and Mari accepts her with no problem.

WHAT I DID LIKE
  • I love that it's about dancing.
  • I love that it features minorities. And that these kids are in an exclusive school, but aren't rich, preppy kids.
  • Although I wasn't crazy about Drew, I liked that he wasn't stereotypical black youth when it comes to sports. He's a star of the basketball team, but he chooses acting over basketball.
  • It's geared towards reluctant readers. I'm all about getting teens to read.

 

0 comments: