Pages

NaNoWriMo Weeks 2 & 3 Wrap-Up

Well, I've definitely fared better than the first week of NaNo. If I were keeping up with the time, I'd be at about 44,000 words (2,000 words/day). Yeah, that's a laugh. I haven't even broken the 10,000 mark. I'm at 2,891 and counting. I'm not as down as I was the first week. Hey, at least I'm writing, right? And I still have next week (Thanksgiving holidays) where I can maybe catch up...or at least make it to 20,000. I'll be happy with half a novel by the time this is over. So, maybe for my NaNoWriMo Week 4 Wrap-Up, I'll have more words.

Sometimes I feel like both the left and right sides of my brain are fighting for attention. I mean, I use more of my left brain for my dissertation and more of my right brain for my book (which is another reason why I'll be glad I'm done with the dissertation...it's hogging my brain, leaving barely enough time for creativity - although, I'd like to think I have to use some creativity with it). I'm sure other NaNos fared waaayyy better than me, which is awesome. I'm still happy with my accomplishment, considering the fact that I've been too tired after work to even think of writing.

Anyway, like I've said before, the novel's name is, Who's Got Tha Moves. I'm so excited about this novel. Here's a short synopsis (thanks Bev Rosenbaum for helping me sum it up so nicely): In her determination to become more exciting (and hook her crush, Nate), accomplished, but hideously shy dancer, Treasure Davis, auditions for a popular dance reality show. Next thing Treasure knows, she's an insta-star, with all the attention--positive and negative--that comes with mega-celebrity. It's everything she wants--isn't it?

I'm having so much fun with this one. I'm not into reality shows, but I love watching the dance ones (Dancing With The Stars, So You Think You Can Dance, America's Best Dance Crew), since I LOVE to dance. Wanna know a secret? When I was about 5 or 6, I wanted to be a Solid Gold dancer. Solid Gold was an old show that I used to watch. I remember sitting in front of the TV every time it came on. Dancing has been my love since then. So, yeah, I'm enjoying Who's Got Tha Moves. I'm channeling my teenage self with this one.

Anyway, next week, I'll post my cast of characters and the soundtrack, but, for now, I'm going to post the opening of Who's Got Tha Moves. Now, remember, during NaNo, it's all about quantity...not quality, so this is a VERY rough draft:

Tee Davis must die. Or at least disappear forever. Either way, I've got to get rid of her.

I'm not some insane chick, plotting the demise of another human. I'm a perfectly sane, 17-year old, plotting the demise of myself...or my old self, rather.

It's time for her to say goodbye.

 

2 comments:

Shari Green said...

I remember Solid Gold! :)

Your novel premise sounds really fun -- good luck with it!

Unknown said...

Yay, someone who remembers Solid Gold! Thanks for the well wishes. :)