Pages

Book Review: The Exorsistah by Claudia Mair Burney

Genre: Young Adult/Paranormal

In The Exorsistah, Ms. Burney introduces us to Emme (pronounced Emmy) Vaughn, a feisty 17 year-old who can see demons. All she wanted was her plate of just-cooked french fries, but instead, she was attacked by the no-good husband of her friend, KiKi. She escapes and finds herself at a 24-hour Walgreens, pissed and hungry, with only a quarter to her name. To make matters worse, a demon has just walked in behind a suspicious looking man. Despite being tired and hungry, Emme is ready to kick some demon butt. Fortunately for her, she doesn't do it alone. She's joined by another customer, Francis, a cutie pie 'blacktino.' After all is said and done, Emme learns that Francis is in training for the priesthood - unfortunately for her - and wants her to join a team of exorcists/demon fighters. Will Emme accept the invitation or will she attempt to navigate the streets - and demons - alone?


Okay, I must say, Claudia Mair Burney is now one of my FAVORITE authors. The Exorsistah is my fourth Burney book and I have yet to be disappointed. Seriously. She's awesome. And I absolutely love Emme. She's led a pretty rough life, with traveling from foster home to foster home. Her mother, whom she misses so much, is unable to take care of her because she's been committed to a mental institution. Emme's had to deal with men trying to get a little too 'friendly.' She looks forward to her 18th birthday (33 days away) so she can finally be out of the foster care system and on her own.


The Exorsistah is a perfect example of a book with a strong female main character. I love the fact that, despite having it rough, Emme doesn't go about life with a 'woe is me' attitude. She has a hard time trusting (for obvious reasons), but she tries. And her voice! I love it, even with her 'Ebonics' way of talking. Ooh, and Francis...muy caliente! What a wonderful hero for our heroine.


The funny thing is, when I bought The Exorsistah, I had no idea the main character would be 17. I thought it would be an adult book. I definitely recommend it to both adults and teens, tho. Claudia Mair Burney has done it again! And I SO look forward to book #2, Exorsistah: X Returns. Its release date is on my birthday, September 28! What a perfect birthday present!


Rating: 5/5

 

0 comments: