Pages

Inspirational Sunday

"God is a verb, not a noun proper or improper."R. Buckminster Fuller

Rae's Thought: I'm sure most of you know the difference between a noun and a verb. A noun is a person, place, or thing; a verb is a word that expresses an act, occurrence, or mode of being. Now, what does that have to do with God? Many people think of God in terms of a noun (a person or thing), but is He really?

In the Bible, just before Moses set out to Egypt (Exodus 3:13-14), he asked God who should he say sent him. God answered, "I am that I am." The word 'am' which is a verb, comes from the Hebrew words, hayah: to exist, and hava: to be. This means that God is not a person, place, or thing, He just...is.

We're going to try something. Think of everything you stand in need of. Now, remember God's answer to Moses' question. If you say, "I need peace," God says, "I am that." You say, "I need joy," God says, "I am that." If you say, "I need a better financial situation," God says, "I am that." Need healing? God says, "I am that." Whatever you need, you'll find it in God and God alone. When you have Him, everything else falls into place. Saying God is a person or thing only sets limits on what He is and what He can do. People and things can only go so far before they have to stop. There is no stopping with God. He's limitless. There's nothing He can't do and nowhere He can't go. We can't even wrap our little human minds around the total vastness of God.

Now that you're armed with this knowledge, you can relax and revel in the 'I am-ness' of God.

 

0 comments: