Pages

Inspirational Sunday

NOTE: Decided to post one of my older IOWs for this week's inspiration. I wrote this one 2 years ago after Hurricane Ike.

"I might have trouble on every side, yet not distressed. I might be perplexed but never in despair. Persecuted but not forsaken, cast down but not destroyed." ~ Take 6, 'I've Got a Life'

Rae's Thought: We have this tall, skinny pine tree in front of our house – a tree we've watched grow for the past 11 years. This weekend, we watched it go through a major storm that could've left it destroyed, like so many other trees in our neighborhood.

Friday, when Ike's winds started to pick up, we watched anxiously as our tree bent back and forth, side to side. I'd prayed for her strength. If she fell backwards, she would've ended up in my room; if she fell to the left, our cars would've been destroyed; if she fell to the right or front, our streets would've been blocked. So, we waited, praying that she'd make it. And, you know what? She did. At one point, we were sure she'd fall. It looked like she would snap in half, but she's still standing strong. One of her branches snapped and she was hit so hard that sap is coming out, but she is still standing.

While watching this, I had a thought…an epiphany of sorts…an "aha" moment. Many times, I am like our tree. The "hurricanes" in my life hit me on all sides, bending me down. At one point, it looks like I'm not going to make it – the winds of life are blowing so hard, it feels as though I'm going to snap. But, you know what? After all is said and done, I'm still standing. I may have a few scars – battle scars, if you will - but I'm still here…standing strong.

I imagined God picking our little tree up every time she bent here and there – just like He picks us up during our times of trouble. And, after the storm is over, I can imagine Him cleaning our wounds, wrapping us up in His arms, like a mother does when her child has been injured. Watching this tree's struggle against a major hurricane gave me a sense of peace and comfort. Just like Take 6 said, "I might have trouble on every side, yet not distressed. I might be perplexed but never in despair. Persecuted but not forsaken, cast down but not destroyed." I'm going to make it. No matter what happens to me, as long as I have God, I'm going to make it. And, guess what? So will you.

 

0 comments: