Pages

Random Thoughts Thursday

Of course, I've decided to join yet another challenge. This time, the 10 in '10 Teen Chick Lit Challenge. There's something about a challenge that makes me wanna do it. And I love reading, so I figured, why not? So, I'm joining in. Interested? Visit Kay Cassidy's Blog.

I, being the nerd I am, have more than 10 books on my list, but whatever. Some of these books are in my TBR pile, some haven't even come out yet. BUT all will get read.


  • Forgive My Fins: Tera Lynn Childs
  • Heist Society: Ally Carter
  • Don't Judge a Girl By Her Cover: Ally Carter
  • Only the Good Spy Young: Ally Carter
  • Cindy Ella: Robin Palmer
  • Geek Charming: Robin Palmer
  • Dork Diaries: Rachel Renee Russell (not sure if this is MG or YA, but I'm including it)
  • Perfect Shot: Debbie Rigaud
  • Sea Change: Aimee Friedman
  • Need: Carrie Jones
  • Captivate: Carrie Jones
  • Evermore: Alyson Noel
  • Wish: Alexandra Bullen
  • As You Wish: Jackson Pearce
  • Crescendo: Becca Fitzpatrick
  • Eyes Like Stars: Lisa Mantchev
  • Princess For Hire: Lindsey Leavitt
  • The Lonely Hearts Club: Elizabeth Eulberg
  • The Cinderella Society: Kay Cassidy
  • The Reckoning: Kelley Armstrong
  • Hearts at Stake: Alyxandra Harvey

And the list goes on. Some of these books I do plan to review. Happy Reading! P.S. I'm seriously looking for more MG/YA books for teens of color! I need more.


On another note, I'm not understanding why, after the Liar (which I'm reading now) book cover controversy, why would the publisher do it again? They drew fire for "whitewashing" another cover. The character in the Jaclyn Dolamore's, Magic Under Glass, is described as dark-skinned, while the model on the book cover is nowhere near. They've decided to cease supplying copies because the jacket design has caused offense. Ya think? Guess they didn't learn from the Liar controversy. Sometimes, things like this make me wanna self-publish, where I'll have total control over my jacket design. Either that, or fight for change in publishing...or maybe both. IDK. I'm disappointed that children/teens of color are being left out when it comes to books, whether it's jacket design or books period. This only makes me even more determined to write and publish books for these kids, so they can read about characters that look like them from authors that look like them.

 

3 comments:

Debbie Rigaud said...

Happy reading, Rae! :-)

Kay Cassidy said...

So glad to have you aboard, Rae! We've got a lot of the same books on our lists. I'm with you, btw... I'll definitely be reading more than just 10. I kept adding to my original 10 when I saw everyone's great lists, so I finally gave up and created a GoodReads widget to track them all. :-) And thank you so much for including The Cinderella Society on your list!

Unknown said...

Thanks Debbie and Kay! I can't wait to read both The Perfect Shot and The Cinderella Society!