Pages

Wannabe Writers #32

Wannabe Writers is a writing group for the un-published started by Sarah at Confessions of the Un-published. It's a place where future authors can ask questions, share stories, and get feedback. Interested in joining? Click here to find more about how it works.

Where Am I in the Writing Process: Unpublished. Writing novel #2, Who's Got Tha Moves.

My Current Problem(s): Shutting off my inner editor/critic. I hear writers say they just write and revise later...I have such a hard time doing that. You see, I'm a perfectionist, so I have to get things right the first time. I write something that my inner critic doesn't agree with, she lets me know. "Um, you're really gonna write that?" or "Yeah, that doesn't make sense." Perfectionism comes in handy at times, but it can also be SO annoying!

This week's question: How in the world do you shut your inner critic off?

 

6 comments:

Miranda Hardy said...

Hi Rae! I am experiencing the same problem on my current WIP. I edit, revise, then edit again, one chapter at a time and I haven't progressed with the writing. My first novel, I breezed right through it, but it needs MAJOR editing now.

Here's what I do, go to Writers Digest and join the Chapter buddy group. This way each week you will be held accountable to write one chapter. It has helped me progress.

Unknown said...

Ooh! Thank u so much! Is it free to join? I need to check that out.

Witless Exposition said...

I wish I knew how to cut off the inner critic! As creative people, I think we have a bigger dose of it than average people.

I'm with J.L. on this one, sometimes other people can really be helpful. Just make sure you get someone who's honest enough to help you improve. In some writer's groups/classes I've been in the past, people just say nice things. That's not very helpful, and it makes me not take their compliments very seriously.

Good luck!

Unknown said...

Thanks! I agree about having someone who's honest. And I definitely agree that creative people have a bigger dose of inner critic than normal people. Sometimes she's helpful, but most of the time, I need her NOT to give me her opinion, lol!

KindaSassy said...

Can I suggest that you read Anne Lamotte's book Bird by Bird? Its a book about the writing process at large, and its full of gems for wannabe writers to cling to. Like this one: S(h)itty first drafts.

Dont try and do it perfectly the first time. Just do it - write a s(h)itty first draft. Get the story out and then edit the bejebbies out of it to make it as perfect as you can. After doing that, take it to a writing group and get them to critique the hell out of it. Begin editing process all over again!

But get the story out first. If you get caught up in the perfectionism trap you will never get it done.

Unknown said...

Thanks for the suggestion. Will definitely look into getting the book!