Pages

H is for...Happy Anniversary!

I know I'm a day behind with the posts. No worries, I'll be all caught up by Sunday.

Today is my parents' wedding anniversary. Thirty-five years and still going strong. They're high school sweethearts, which means they've actually been together longer than 35 years. From what they tell me, their relationship started out as friendship and progressed into something more.

Thirty-five years is a LONG time. Not all couples make it that long. According to statistics, only 50% (or some high percentage like that) of married couples stay together. I am so glad my parents are a part of the group that has stayed together. Although their mushiness is something kids - even grown kids - would rather not witness from their parents, I'm glad to see they're still in love. I must admit, their mushiness is kinda cute. But don't you DARE tell them I said that.

They've made mistakes in their marriage; some I know...some I don't know. BUT I still consider them to be models for what a strong, godly marriage is supposed to look like. Watching my parents, I learned how important it is for couples to put God first in their relationship. I learned how a real man treats his wife and how a wife can be submissive without being a doormat. My father treats my mother like a queen. He's very protective of her...of all his girls (Mama, my sister, and I). My future hubby has some big shoes to fill. My mother knows when she needs to step back, but at the same time, she'll let Daddy know when he's wrong. She knows when to submit, even when she doesn't want to. We joke and say Mama is really the one who runs the house, but make no mistake. My dad is the head of the household as God intended him to be. 

I pray that, when my time comes to be married and have a family, my marriage is as strong as my parents. No, each generation is supposed to be better than the previous, right? So, I pray my marriage is even stronger than my parents'...and that's pretty strong.

I absolutely adore my parents and am so blessed God chose me to be their child. My parents are all kinds of awesome and they deserve every good thing that comes their way.

 

16 comments:

Jolie du Pre said...

I've been married since 1987. So in August that will be 25 years. I'm not a Christian Fundamentalist. I don't believe that a woman should obey a man or other things that Christian Fundamentalists believe. However, I am a Unitarian Universalist Christian and I know that my husband and I love each other. Our marriage works because we love each other and we are each other's best friend.

Unknown said...

Thanks for commenting! Honestly, I just consider myself a Christian...a follower/disciple of Jesus Christ, a child of God, & believer in the Holy Trinity & the fact that the Bible is God's Word. All other labels, to me isn't important. Lol.

Congrats on 25 years! That's a huge milestone. :D

Sharkbytes said...

Congrats to your parents. Those long marriages only happen because of commitment. I'm trying to visit all the A-Z Challenge Blogs this month.

Unknown said...

Thank you for commenting! :D

Unknown said...

They're one of the rare ones today.
Rhia from Five Minute Piece for Inspiration

nutschell said...

Your parents are blessed to be together for such a long time. Happy anniversary to them.:)
Happy A-Zing!
Nutschell
www.thewritingnut.com

Unknown said...

Thanks you all! My parents are blessed and rare. :D

J.L. Campbell said...

Hope they have a wonderful anniversary!

Gregg Metcalf said...

Happy anniversary to your parents! Hope they have a great anniversary.

Pam Harris said...

Happy Anniversary to your parents! 35 years is quite a feat--I can only hope that I'll be able to tolerate--I mean, LOVE someone that long. :)

Christie Wright Wild said...

Happy Anniversary! My 16th is coming up soon. I like to think it's definitely a combination of love and commitment. In writing, you have to be committed despite your feelings of motivation. You'll do what needs to be done no matter how you feel. I think marriage is the same way. We know we love our spouses very much, but sometimes the feeling of love may waver. That's where commitment comes into play. Going on regular weekly dates will help both the love and the commitment. My parents were divorced (twice each) and my husband's as well. I pray I make it to 80 years!!!

Jessica Ferguson said...

Happy Anniversary to your parents. What a sweet post!

MOV said...

beautiful tribute. will be back to read more!

best,
MOV
http://mothersofbrothersblog.blogspot.com

Angela Brown said...

I'm not sure if I should feel weird or not but your parents have been together as long as I've been alive. Okay, so instead of weird, I'm just in a state of WOW. That is so awesome.

Having been married and divorced, I can say that maintaining a marriage for any length of time takes work. Sounds like your parents have shown how and why that work and love pays off when combined efforts are put together over time.

running4him said...

Hey great post!! I love your blog set up and look!! Keep up the good work!!! You are invited to check out or folow my blog anytime!! Have a great day!!

Unknown said...

Thanks, everyone! My parents don't always get to do the weekly dates, but every once in a while, my brother, sister, & I send them away for the weekend.

Christie, congrats on 16! That's awesome as well.

Angela, I was 7 months when they got married, so they've been married just about as long as I've been alive.