Pages

A is for...Attitude!


"Attitude is a little thing that makes a big difference."
Winston Churchill


Do you know and understand how important your attitude is? I mean, truly understand? I'm realizing this more and more each day, especially here in Abu Dhabi.

I love living here. I love my kids, the opportunities I've had, and the new friends I've made. But, it's not always easy. Sometimes, it gets rough. I mean, I kind of expected challenges since they're in the middle of an education reform, but MAN! Things have been harder than I thought they'd be. And I'm in one of the better schools. I did stress last trimester. I struggled a bit.

And then, I changed my attitude. I made a vow not to let the challenges get to me. I decided not to complain about what's going on (especially since there are other teachers in far worse predicaments). It was time for me to think positive about everything that came my way, even the challenges. I refuse to let them get me down.

Attitude is everything. When I changed my outlook, things didn't bother me as much. Don't have resources to teach like they want us to teach? It allows me to access parts of my creativity that I didn't even know I had. Have double the amount of work cos they added more students who don't understand my language? That's more children for me to reach. Our principal wants us to do what by when? That's ok. I'm strong. God's got my back...I've got this.

I can still smile. God has given me such a peace that I can't even explain. Since I've changed my attitude, I'm loving it here even more. I've even started going out and enjoying myself more, which says a lot cos I'm normally a homebody. I live in a beautiful high rise apt (rent free), I'm minutes away from the beach, I'm part of an education reform that will help build up a new country, I'm touching the lives of children who, because I taught them, will be bilingual before they even reach 6th grade. I've met people who have the potential of being life-long friends. I'm doing things that, this time last year, I wouldn't have thought I'd be doing.

Are your circumstances giving you grief? Try changing your attitude. Think positive instead of negative. I know it's so cliche, but go on...try it and see what a difference it makes!

 

15 comments:

Bonnie Gwyn said...

Attitude is so important! Especially if you're trying to write and get published. It's an adventure! :)
Great to meet you, Rae. Will be reading your posts down the line!
--
http://bonniegwyn.blogspot.com/

Bonnie Gwyn said...

Oh, and I had a little suggestion. Move your follower button to the top! :)

Unknown said...

Great meeting you too. And thanks for the suggestion! :D

Unknown said...

Great post! Thanks for stopping by my blog.

Unknown said...

Thanks, Jen!

Holly Michael said...

Yeah, it's all about the attitude. Nice blog. Holly

baygirl32 said...

Attitude makes all the difference in the world!

happy A to Z
baygirl32.blogspot.com

Julie Flanders said...

Hi Rae! I'm so glad to find your blog again through the A-Z Challenge, and I love your choice for the letter A. This is something I definitely need to work on. Your adventures in Abu Dhabi sound fascinating!

Donna Smith said...

My favorite attitude statement is " your attitude affects your attitude!"
Great attitude! It does matter, doesn't it?

Andrew Leon said...

Attitude? What attitude? I don't have an attitude!
http://strangepegs.blogspot.com/

Nancy said...

Great post Rae! I so agree with you about attitude. What an awesome word to begin the A to Z Challenge! :)

Unknown said...

Thanks everyone for commenting! Julie, my Abu Dhabi experience has been very fascinating so far. :D

Karen Jones Gowen said...

Hi Rae, nice to meet you! Attitude is a great A word, and a useful word any day of the month. Attitude is everything! Enjoyed this post and welcome to the challenge!

KarenG

Christie Wright Wild said...

You're so right. Attitude really does make a huge difference. And faith in God doesn't hurt a bit either.

Unknown said...

Nice to meet you too, Karen (love the name, that's my mom's name, too). Christie, faith in God helps big time. :D