Pages

Q is for...Quite A Story

I've got a story for you. 


It's about a couple and the night they almost lost their baby girl.


One cold winter night, this couple slept in their bed while their baby girl slept in her crib close by. Sometime during the night, the woman noticed her grandmother standing in front of their bed.



Her grandmother had died the year before.


The woman didn't think it weird that her dead grandmother stood in front of her. She was just excited to see her. The woman and her grandmother were so close and she missed her so much. Unfortunately, the grandmother died before she even got a chance to meet the baby girl. The woman excitedly told her grandmother about her new life.


"GaGa! You've got to see her! She's so beautiful."


All GaGa said was, "Check the baby."


"Yes, but GaGa, I'm so excited. You should see her! She..."


"Check the baby."


This went on for a few minutes before GaGa started to fade away. The woman cried, "No GaGa! Don't go! I miss you so much! And the baby...you've got to see her!"


"Check the baby."


Finally, GaGa was gone. The man heard the woman call out for GaGa, but he didn't see GaGa. He shook the woman awake and asked what was wrong. The woman described what happened and her excitement at seeing GaGa again. Finally, she told him all GaGa said was, "Check the baby."


The both decided to see what GaGa was talking about. When they checked the crib, what they saw made their hearts stop. Their baby girl was blue in the face...not breathing. Scared and alarmed, they rushed her to the hospital where the doctors worked to bring the child back to life. 


They succeeded. The couple breathed a sigh of relief. 


GaGa saved their baby girl.


The ghost of a dead woman saving a great granddaughter she never met. Sounds fictitious, doesn't it? Like a supernatural, out-of-this-world kind of story?


It's not.


It's a true story. It's my story. I was that baby girl. My mom was the woman, and my dad was the man. I've never met GaGa. She died seven months before I was born, a victim of a robbery gone bad. But almost a year after her death, she came back, if only for a few minutes, to save her great granddaughter. The doctors told my parents that, had they come even a minute later, I would've been gone...a victim of SIDS (Sudden Infant Death Syndrome), also known as "Crib Death." 


One of the current popular trends in YA is angels. Lots of fiction with angels as main characters. Are angels real? What about ghosts?


I believe they're real. First of all, they're in the Bible and I believe the Bible to be truth, God's Word. The Bible tells of both heavenly angels (like Gabriel, Raphael, and Michael) and fallen angels (Satan and his demons). Yes, I believe there's a spiritual realm that we can't see, with angels - both heavenly and fallen - roaming the earth, in the midst of a spiritual war...a battle for our souls. 


But I also believe angels are real because one saved my life. I believe God sent GaGa's angel to my mom to save my life. He knew that my mom wouldn't be weirded out by seeing GaGa. He knew my mom would've listened to GaGa. God tells us in the Bible (Psalm 91:11) that He sends His angels to guard His children.


Because God sent GaGa's angel, I am alive today.
 

 

5 comments:

smug princess said...

Awesome story. Kind of creepy, though.

Unknown said...

I agree, Lindsey. I don't think I'd be able to handle seeing the ghost of a dead loved one. *shudder*

Unknown said...

I believe in angels, but I don't want them to see a dead loved one either.

ScribblesFromJenn
Happy A to Z-ing!

Michelle Jones said...

I think that's a lovely story, and I am completely convinced that our dead ancestors maintain a strong desire to be part of our lives.
Thank you for sharing such a personal story.

Unknown said...

Jenn, I agree. Not sure what I'd do if I saw GaGa in front of me.

Michelle, thanks! I love this story and love sharing it. :D