Pages

K is for...Kids

Those that know me know how much I love kids. 


To be honest, I believe that they're the reason God has me here on Earth. I've known this since I was a teen. I may have even subconsciously known this as a kid. It started when my brother and sister were born. When I was seven, my brother three and my sister one, we played school in my room. They'd sit between my stuffed animals as my students. It was a game, but I taught them how to read, write, and count. They were the first children God used me to educate. After them, I kept going: working in the church's nursery before I was even 10; babysitting as a teen; teaching children's Sunday school & working with preteens & teens at church; tutoring; teaching...the list goes on. And now, I'm working on a writing career, mentoring program, & an enrichment center. 


Everything I do will always go back to my purpose. My writing career? Children & teens. My mentoring program? For girls (ages 5 - 18). Enrichment center? Children & teens. When I graduate with my doctorate - prayerfully within a year or two - I plan to use it to do reading research so I can help better education for our youth. I even thought of becoming an advocate for youth who can't speak up for themselves.


Some people go through life never knowing their purpose. Why am I here? What should I do? I'm blessed to have had my purpose revealed to me at a young age. My mission is to educate, enrich, & empower children/teens. I have no doubt this is what God has called me to do.

 

5 comments:

Christie Wright Wild said...

That's amazing that you are so close to your doctorate. I might maybe some day maybe go for my master's degree. It's a nice feeling to know what your purpose in life is. As far as careers go, I was an administrative assistant, then went back to school to become a teacher (and totally felt called to do that). It took 6 and a half years to get certified. Then three years after graduating a second time, still no permanent teaching position. Only a few temporary positions here and there, for which I was also extremely grateful. Then, I got back into my writing. But this time, I write for kids. Picture books. All my experiences have led me to this place. Life is a fun journey, especially when we recognize that God is on our side.

Unknown said...

I so agree about life being a fun journey when God is on our side. I taught for one yr, went to get my Masters, subbed for 8 years, & now I'm back in the classroom, except on the other side of the world. But I know I'm not meant to be in the classroom forever (hence my enrichment center/writing career). Isn't writing for kids awesome?!

Pam Harris said...

I'm lucky enough to work with children, so even though I don't have any of my own yet, I know how precious they are. Infuriating at times, yes, but precious. :)

Jarm Del Boccio said...

You a blessed to know God's purpose for you at a young age, Rae, so you don't have to waste precious time! Enjoy the remainder of the Challenge.
MakingTheWriteConnections

Unknown said...

Thanks for commenting! Yes, they can be infuriating at times. But I love them still. Lol. Thanks Jarm, you enjoy it too! :D