Pages

O is for Old School

In five months, I'll be 35 years old. I keep thinking, "Gah! Already?" Twenty years ago, at 15, I thought I had a loooong time before my 35th birthday. Ha! It's here and it arrived faster than I thought it would. But I'm not tripping though. I look forward to 35 and beyond. So, in honor of my approaching 35, I've decided to take a walk down memory lane...reminisce about some of my favorite things as a child and teen. It would take forever for me to post all of my favorite things, so I only posted some. Care to join me?

During the 80s, I went from 4yrs old - 13yrs old. I had a wonderful childhood, so thankfully, I can look back at the 80s with a smile. Well, besides the fashion. I can't smile too much on the fashion. I was so into Cyndi Lauper and Punky Brewster, that I wanted to dress like them. Problem was, I didn't have their money nor their stylists to make my outfits look as good as theirs. I don't even wanna think about my fashion sense in middle school. *shudder*

During the 90s, I went from 14yrs old - 23yrs old. I have to say. My teen/early adulthood years were pretty good, but I wouldn't wanna go back. I love being an adult, despite the bills/real life thing I have to deal with. In the 90s, Will Smith came into his own. I loved his show, Fresh Prince of Bel Air - watched it faithfully - but I didn't think he had cutie status til towards the end of the show...during his box office reign (Independence Day, Bad Boys, Men in Black, etc). Other shows I watched faithfully were Saved By The Bell (I mean, come on...SLATER with those dimples), Martin (HILARIOUS show I still love), and Caliente, a show that introduced me to Puerto Rican cutie, Ricky Martin and Spanish musica.

Here are a few of my favorite things of the 80s and 90s...





NOTE: The pic on the left is of The Last Dragon, one of my favorie movies. Yes it was corny, but I still loved it...especially Bruce Leroy. I had SUCH a crush on him. Taimak, the actor who played Bruce Leroy, was a cutie then and he's definitely a cutie now. He's aged soooo beautifully, as you can see in the pic on the right *swoon*









 

NOTE: Tupac gets a big pic cos I heart him. RIP

Thanks for taking the trip with me!

 

5 comments:

Traci Marie Wolf said...

Oh okay, no wonder you and I have some similar memories, we're the same age. I'm 34 too. I remember being in 2nd grade and dying for a Michael Jackson pin and florescent clothing. I'm also with you for all the '90s memories. I remember watching In Living Color and absolutely excited because Jennifer Lopez was on there representing Hispanics. We didn't have many back then in the spot light to look up to. She was so cute chubby.

Inspired by you, I'm re-posting my blog on fashion memories. Check it out.

Unknown said...

Yeah, I loved watching Jennifer Lopez and the Fly Girls cos they were thicker than other girls. I was so glad to see curvy women on tv since I was curvy myself (still am). Being thick wasn't celebrated enough back then.

I'm on my way to your blog now!

Lindsay N. Currie said...

OMG - you and I are so similiar it's eerie. I turn 35 next November (eek!) and let me just say - eighties sitcoms are still shows I will watch if they are on. Geez I loved Mike Seaver and believe it or not, I was punky brewster for like three months. It started off as a halloween outfit and then I couldn't bear to take off the bandana LOL!

Thomasina said...

I will be turning 30 next year, so I can appreciate this post. I used to love in living color and I still occassionally watch Martin. Great post!

Unknown said...

@ Lindsay, I LOVED Mike Seaver! And I wanted to be Punky Brewster's best friend.

@ Karen, It's awesome that you feel 30 inside. My brother and sister (both younger than me) say I'm getting old, but I say you're only as old as you feel. I don't feel old at all. Nice to meet you too.

@ Thomasina, Martin is hilarious! One of my fave shows. You're the same age as my little sis. She'll be 30 July 2012. Cool!