Pages

R is for Rae

You know I couldn't go through the challenge without having a post all about me, right? I mean this is my blog. So, here are 25 random facts about me...

25 Random Facts You May Not Know About Me

1. I was a stillborn baby. I came about one month early and because of that, I was born dead. The doctors had to work to save my life. God has something special planned for me cos here I am.

2. I'm the oldest of 10+ kids. No, my parents didn't take God's command to "be fruitful and multiply" to heart. They only have 3 biological kids. Through the years, they've "adopted" others into the family, including the 6 recent foster children they have now, ages 5 - 14.

3. I'm Chi-Town born, H-Town bred. Lived in Chicago the first 8 years of my life, but have lived here in Houston for the rest. Although I'm more Houstonian than I am Chicagoan, there are some Chicago things I remember and prefer. I still say pop instead of soda, Lake Michigan and the Navy Pier is absolutely gorgeous and  I LOVE KarmelKorn and White Castle. If you're ever in Chicago, it would do you well to visit Garrett Popcorn Shop. The popcorn there is DEE-liscious!


4. My favorite color is pink. I loved pink as a little girl. Then I got older and figured I was too old for it. Now, I realize you're never too old for pink.

5. I write with my left hand. There are some things I can do better with my right hand than my left, but overall, I'm a lefty and proud of it!


6. My favorite singer of all time is Sade. No one compares to her in my mind. NO ONE. Her music is timeless and classic. And she's beautiful.

7. I'm a virgin. May be TMI for y'all, but it's something I'm proud of. A 35-yr old virgin in the flesh. Made a vow to God 20 years ago and I plan to keep it.

8. I'm claustrophobic. Like seriously. I mean, I'm able to handle it...a little. I don't like elevators, but I can get on them as long as they're not full. I'm not a fan of crowds. I can't even watch movies/tv shows with people being buried alive cos I start panicking. I need rooms with windows cos I'll feel closed in.

9. I can sing. My dad is a former singer so I guess it's fitting his singing abilities be passed on to his kids. When we were little, my bro, sis, and I used to sing in a trio for church talent shows. Then, my sis & I seriously considered singing professionally as a duet. We still sing, but not with dreams of being on stage. The pic below is from my dad's album. He's the one at the top.


10. I'm obsessed with I'm infatuated with I have a crush on both Adam Rodriguez and Laz Alonso. Have you seen them? They're GORGEOUS! Look at the pics. I rest my case.


11. I'm a very sarcastic person. Actually, my whole family is sarcastic. It takes special people to hang with us. If you don't get our sarcasm, your feelings just may get hurt.

12. I have an irrational fear of cockroaches. Especially huge FLYING cockroaches like the ones we see here in Houston. My sis is the one who kills them if we have the misfortune of seeing one in the house. I. Can't. Stand. Them. At. All.

13. Mulan is my favorite kiddie movie. I loved everything about it. The soundtrack. The characters. The storyline. EVERYTHING. Mulan is a perfect example of a strong, yet vulnerable female character.


14. I'm slightly obsessive compulsive. An example: When I eat hard candy like Werther's or something like that, I have to have two pieces in my mouth to even things out. It's the same for gum. I can go through some of my compulsiveness, but I don't want to bore you.

15. My favorite animal is the white tiger. I LOVE white tigers. They're beautiful and rare...just like me. I have a pet one named Sasha. Well, not a real one. She's my cutie pie stuffed animal. Oh and I love butterflies.


16. I collect angels. Anything that has to do with angels. I've got angel figurines, angel pillows, angel hats, etc. You'll find out why in my "T" post.

17. I love to bake. It's actually a stress reliever for me. Cookies, cakes, brownies...you name it. I get in that kitchen and all my worries/stress melts away.

18. I'm a closet adrenaline junkie. Bungee jumping. Cliff diving. Sky diving. I SO want to do it all. I just don't have the money nor the time. They're on my list, though, so I get to do some. I think that's why I'm addicted to action movies. Gets the adrenaline pumping through my veins.

19. I'm a 5th generation female first-born. My great great grandmother, great grandmother, grandmother, mother, and I are all the oldest child in our families. You know the pressure's on for my first-born to be a girl, right? Like I have a say in what the sex of my kids will be.

20. I hate clowns. I've never liked those suckers - especially Ronald McDonald - but ever since Stephen King's It? I can't stand them. My children will not be having clowns at any of their parties. If so, Mommy's gonna have to retreat to her bedroom til they leave. Not that I'm scared of them or anything. Cos I'm not. Really, I'm not.

21. I'm a vampire. HAHA! Not really. But, like a vampire, I can't stay out in the sun for long. If I'm out in the sun for hours, I get sick (migraine, hard time breathing, hives). It drains me of energy. On days I go to the beach or chill at the park, when I get home, I'm done for. That's it. I'm no good afterwards.

22. I'm allergic to seafood. I know, terrible, right? I LOVE seafood and it kills me that I can't eat it. I mean, there are a few that I can eat like tilapia, but for the most part, I have some kind of allergic reaction if I eat it. Most just makes me nauseous, puke, or my throat itch. Perch fish, though, can send me to my grave. My face swells and my airways close in. Remember that scene in Hitch where he eats seafood? Yeah. That's me if I eat perch.

23. I love sports. Although I'm not what you'd call an athlete, I still love watching sports. Football, basketball, and volleyball are my faves. Now volleyball is my favorite sport to play. The funny thing is, I'm better at playing volleyball now, at almost 35, than I was 20 years ago. Weird, right? And my love of sports stem from a father and brother who both played football and who are sports fanatics.

24. I have a serious sweet tooth. Cheescake, chocolate, Sugar Daddy and banana Now Laters/Laffy Taffy are my weaknesses.

25. I want to research my ancestry. Of course, I want to hear about my ancestors who were slaves and even before that. But, I also want to research my Native American ancestry as well as my French ancestors. Two of my great-great grandmothers were full blooded Native American while another had a parent who was originally from France. I want to know my history so bad...the African American/Africans, Native Americans, and French ancestry.

 

4 comments:

http://www.samposey.com/ said...

Wow, Rae, you have an amazing life. Makes for a fascinating memoir when you're ready. How tame my life looks stacked next to yours!

Unknown said...

LOL! Thanks Shellie. I never considered my life fascinating, but I guess it's cos I'm on the inside looking out. My life's pretty tame, tho.

Anonymous said...

I love this post, so honest, and amazing that you can survive seafood free! It's one of my worst nightmares :)

Holly (pearlsofamicus)

Unknown said...

Thanks Holly. I think perch fish is the only seafood that can kill me. Everything else just makes me sick or break out.