Pages

Y is for Yo Habla Un Poco de Español.

NOTE: I know I'd really just say "Habla un poco de espanol" but I needed a Y for my "Y" post.

I'm learning Spanish.

Well, let me rephrase that. I'm learning to speak Spanish. I understand it, but, for whatever reason, I'm having a hard time speaking it. I think it's cos I'm scared I'd say the wrong thing...or that my accent isn't right.

My sister is fluent. Like seriously. She lived in Cuernavaca (Mexico) for 2 years. She already knew it before she left for Mexico, but she wasn't confident. Oh, but after she came back? She was on a roll. I mean, she even speaks English with a Spanish accent now. Many people are surprised when she speaks it - I guess cos it's weird to see a black person speak Spanish. But after they get over their initial shock, they're amazed. When I visited her in Mexico, I felt so out of place. I mean, I kinda understood what they were saying (they spoke so fast), but I couldn't join in. Their English was limited like my Spanish was. My sister left me with her friends at times; not to be mean or anything. She did it so I'd be forced to speak the little Spanish that I knew. I even had to take a cab back to her apartment by myself. Boy was I nervous, but I did it! I held an entire convo with the cabbie. Yay me!

Maybe I need to go to a Spanish-speaking country so I can be forced to speak it, although, living in Houston, I'd probably find places here. I have help, though. My aunt, who's from Brazil, speaks Spanish (and Portuguese, for that matter). My cousin speaks it. I have Spanish-speaking friends. My sister helps me. If you all want, feel free to help also. How? By responding to me in Spanish. I'm determined to get over my fear. I will become fluent in Spanish. So, for now, hablo un poco de español, pero estoy aprendiendo.

 

4 comments:

Sylvia Ney said...

They say immersion is the best teacher. I guess that is why I only speak poco as well! ;-) I'm so glad I found your blog! I'm stopping by from the A to Z challenge and I look forward to visiting again.

Unknown said...

Thanks Sylvia for visiting! I'm positive immersion would work best for me. It would force me to remember what I learned. Nice to "meet" you.

Heng Sonal said...

Yo hablo..not habla. You learning spanish is so cool!! Are you latino mixed?

Unknown said...

Thanks, Sonal. No, I'm not latino or mixed with latino. I just love the language and the culture, next to my own culture.