Pages

P is for The Paris Secret

Author: Angela Henry
Genre: Fiction, Romance, Suspense, Mystery
Release January, 2011
Source: Netgalley
Rating: 4.5/5

Description:Less than twenty-four hours after fleeing to Paris, Maya Sinclair is the prime suspect in a brutal murder—and targeted by the real killer. When she's viciously attacked in the gardens of Versailles, Maya barely escapes with her life thanks to sexy French journalist Simon Girard.

Simon has been investigating the mysterious death of his brother, an art forger with ties to the woman Maya is suspected of killing. Still healing from heartbreak of his own, Simon reluctantly joins forces with Maya, who has awakened feelings within him he thought long dead.

Their search for answers uncovers the existence of a secret society, and puts them on a quest to find a missing crucifix rumored to hold the key to everlasting life. Together, Maya and Simon race through Paris one step ahead of a killer who will do anything to ensure some secrets remain buried forever...


Review: Ok, can I just say that I love Angela Henry? Cos I do. She's such an awesome writer. I got The Paris Secret expecting awesomeness and I'm glad to say Ms. Henry delivers.

WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE

  • While wearing the ring that supposedly belonged to the Black Nun of Moret, a 17th century nun, Maya has flashbacks of the nun's life. This would've been cool if this were a paranormal/fantasy/mystified book, but it's not. It's a romantic suspense. The flashbacks kind of came out of nowhere. Ms. Henry really didn't need them. With that being said, it didn't take away from the awesomeness that is this book.

WHAT I DID LIKE

  • I LOVE the character of Maya. She's feisty and strong. Her boyfriend broke her heart, but instead of staying home an wallowing in self-pity, she flies off to Paris to mend her broken heart. What she goes through didn't break her.

  • I like the fact that Maya's a librarian, but not a stereotypical librarian.

  • The action. I've mentioned it so many times before, but I love action. The Paris Secret had it. It kind of reminds me of something like The Da Vinci Code with secret societies and the "whodunit" factor.

  • Simon is a worthy hero for Maya. He's sexy and passionate. He's masculine, but not too masculine enough where you don't see his emotions as he tries to solve his brother's murder. The romance between Simon and Maya is HAWT!

  • Through Ms. Henry's descriptions, I can "see" Paris. Her descriptions are vivid.

If you like romance, mystery, and suspense, The Paris Secret is definitely the book to get!

 

3 comments:

http://www.samposey.com/ said...

It sounds interesting, but I read mostly MG and YA books these days. They say read what you write and I suppose I'm following their advice. Once in a while I do get a hankering for an adult book, but then it's usually a mystery. Love a good mystery!

Love your pics from old-school post. Where on earth did you find all those memories? Great job!

Unknown said...

I read almost everything, lol. I've been reading romance books since I was in high school. And this one has mystery in it.

I've found the pics throughout the web, but the memories are in my head, lol.

Thanks!

Nicole said...

It's often refreshing to visit your blog.

I want to let you know that I've given you the Stylish Blogger Award today.

You can pick it up on the post titled "Pay It Forward"

The Madlab Post