Pages

L is for Life List

About 2 years ago, I came up with a “Things to do before I’m ___” list. It started out as a “Things to do before I’m 35” list (posted here), then a “Things to do before I’m 40” list (posted here). It’s been difficult to get things started, although I have completed a few things on the list. Basically, I’ve had this list on the back burner, collecting dust doing nothing about it.

So, since this year is all about change for me (read my post about change), I’m bringing the list back out. This list is sorta like a bucket list, only I’m not about to die (at least, not that I know of…no life-threatening disease or something of that sort). I’m calling it my “Life List.” Things I’ve wanted to do, but have been afraid to do. Or things that I’ve always wanted to do, but just haven’t gotten the chance. Either way, these are things I wanna do.

The main character, Treasure, in the YA novel I’m working on is also doing a life list (I know, convenient, right). She’s in the same boat as I am, only she’s 18 and I’m about to turn 35. I wish that I, at 18, had the courage to do some of the things I really wanted to do, but alas. I mustn’t look back. I only have now and my future.

Anyway, I’ve decided that, while Treasure is going through her list in my book, I’ll go through my list in real life. I’ll even keep you all updated through blog posts. So, without further ado, here is my Life List. I've crossed out the ones I've already completed.

  • Become Dr. Rae Weakly, EdD 
  • Get counseling license
  • Sky dive
  • Para sail
  • Jet ski
  • Swim w/dolphins
  • Bungee jump
  • Cliff dive
  • Stay in a hotel on the beach (or beach house)
  • Stay in a resort
  • Stay in an expensive hotel for at least one night without worrying about price
  • Learn Spanish - be able to hold conversation with native speakers & my sister. NOTE: I can understand Spanish; I'm having a difficult time speaking it. I think it's more a lack of confidence in my abilities than anything. BUT I'm determined.
  • Learn a 3rd language (Portuguese, Italian, French, or Japanese)
  • Learn to play piano
  • Shake hands w/a celebrity
  • Become a published author
  • Fall in love
  • Get married
  • Have a child
  • Travel to other countries/cities/states - Puerto Rico, Mexico, Hawaii, Brazil, Holy Land, St. Thomas Virgin Islands, Italy, Spain, Japan, Cuba, Columbia, Tahiti, Philippines, Virginia, Washington D.C., Las Vegas, Phoenix, Jamaica
  • Become owner of THRIVING business, AYM Enrichment Center
  • Learn to belly dance
  • Learn to Salsa confidently. I know what to do, I'm just not as good as I'd like to be.
  • Take Hip Hop class
  • Take Zumba
  • Get a professional makeover
  • Go to a spa
  • Get 3rd tattoo
  • Ride a motorcycle
  • Take kickboxing class
  • Fly first class
  • Have at least one of my novels optioned for film
  • Wear shorts in public. Never liked my legs, so I never liked wearing shorts.
  • Wear a daring (yet tasteful) dress
  • Start research on what makes other countries' educational system work; what America can do to catch up
  • Research Aliteracy
  • Comfortably wear a swimsuit without cover (no shirt over it...no beach pants to cover my legs, etc)
  • Participate in a walkathon
  • Run a mile
  • Go white-water rafting
  • Learn how to ski
  • Try a fruity alcoholic drink. Had a margarita...pretty good!
  • Sing at a karaoke bar
  • Learn sign language
  • Become debt free
  • Buy first house
  • Buy my Escalade EXT (I LOVE this truck)
  • Approach an attractive guy (if only for conversation. Even @ 34, I clam up around cute guys)
  • Attend a Superbowl game
  • Go to a major awards show
  • Get nose pierced
  • Climb the Statue of Liberty
  • Eat @ an expensive restaurant. Did this for my birthday, thanks to my friend!
  • Set up a foundation for kids
  • Become a motivational speaker/mentor for young girls/teen girls
  • Play basketball without dying
  • Buy my parents their dream house
  • Spend a whole day doing absolutely nothing (take a me-day). 
  • Donate a substantial amount of $ for a worthy cause
  • Plan a camp for girls and/or creative kids
  • Experience Las Vegas (or Atlantic City) gambling once
  • Research both sides of my family. We have a whole side of French and Native American (my great great grandparents on both sides) ancestors that I know nothing about. I also want to research our ancestors who were slaves.
  • Read the whole Bible, from Genesis to Revelation. Finished this earlier this month. YAY!
  • Lose @ least 50 pounds and work to stay @ ideal weight (ideal in MY mind...not society's)

 

4 comments:

Julie Flanders said...

What a wonderful list! I was nodding my head while reading through it thinking, yeah, I want to do that too! :) Congrats on those you've already crossed off and good luck with all the rest.

Unknown said...

Thanks Julie!

none said...

Great life list, Rae! I see you've already crossed off a bunch--that's great. Enjoy your next adventure. :)

Unknown said...

Thanks Jade! I plan to enjoy every minute of it!